Fifteen years ago, there was a wonderful Chinese restaurant in the University Village shopping center in Seattle. I was completing a second degree at the University of Washington at the time, and along with a couple of other always hungry art students, found myself all too regularly chowing down at this nearby restaurant.
I don’t remember the name of the place (it’s long gone), but I do remember the dish I ordered without hesitation every time we ate there: Asian Tacos.
They came to the table nestled in a nifty rack that held three smallish tacos upright. The wrapper was a delicate, thin Beijing Pancake. Each pancake held a different filling and sauce. Lovely presentation and over-the-top delicious.
They were a bit messy to eat, but I licked the dripping sauce off my hands without even considering using a napkin. We all did. And I’ve been dreaming about those amazing Asian-style tacos ever since.
Which brings me to this post. It finally occurred to me that I could make them myself. But first, I had to master the pancakes and then a sublime peanut sauce. The filling was the easy part. You can improvise a different filling every night if you want to.
You can have these incredibly tasty Asian Tacos on the table in under ½ hour–if you make Asian Pancakes and Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce in advance. You don’t even need to dress the cabbage if you are in a rush.
This said, if you try to make everything at one go, you will be harried and irritable by the time you complete all the elements. I’m just saying.
But even though this dish requires time and effort, the results are well worth it.
More Asian-Inspired Recipes from LunaCafe
- Asian Pancakes (Beijing Pancakes)
- Asian Tacos with Prawn & Shiitake Filling & Cabbage Slaw
- Chinese Cracker Jacks
- Chinese Good Fortune Cookies
- Home-Style Chinese Fried Rice
- Spicy Korean Noodle Soup (Jjambbong)
- Spicy Pork Wonton Soup
- Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce
- Thai Red Curry Paste
- Thai Red Curry Soup
- Vietnamese Crispy Crepes (Banh Xeo)
Cookin’ with Gas (inspired recipes from around the web)
- 10th Kitchen: Moo Shu
- Asian Enticement: Korean Tacos Recipe
- Big Oven: Chinese Plum Chicken in Pancakes
- Casa Veneration: Fish Tacos, Asian Style
- Kitchen.m: Moo Shu Pork
- Nibble Me This: Asian Mini Tacos
- Simple Comfort Food: Taiwanese Steamed Bun Tacos
- Sprouted Kitchen: Shitake Mushroom & Lentil Asian Tacos
- Steamy Kitchen: Korean Style Tacos with Kogi BBQ Sauce
- The All American Chinese Cookbook 2: Homemade Mu Shu Pancakes
- The SAM: Salmon Tacos
- The Way the Cookie Crumbles: Not a Chinese Burrito (Moo Shu Pancakes)
- Two Sisters, Two Suppers: Fried Fish Tacos with Asian Slaw and Hot Peppers
- Yankee in Nashville: Asian Meat Marinade
Pages: 1 2