This Swedish cookie is just enough different from all other Scandinavian “gingersnaps” to make it definitely special: delicate, spicy, and hot!
And here’s the final cookie in the Deck The Halls collection, the cookie that I purposely saved to complete this season’s baking extravaganza. Now that I think about it, I almost always save it for last, perhaps letting the anticipation keep my energy level and enthusiasm up through the weeks of baking.
This is Ellen’s cookie, a cookie I would have never known if not for her. She served it on my first visit to her home in Yakima, Washington. The cookies were arranged on an antique silver platter and were offered alongside an antique silver teapot filled with freshly brewed Darjeeling.
The cookies were impossibly thin and crisp and aromatic with spices. By about the third cookie, the heat from the white pepper began to build in my mouth. I had never experienced heat in a cookie before. The cookies were so hot that tears began flowing down my face. But I couldn’t stop eating them.
So in a way, my long and wonderful relationship with Ellen began with these surprising and memorable cookies. For me, they will forever be entwined with memories of her gentle, generous, grateful, and joyful spirit. I know she would want me to share them. They are her gift to you this holiday season.
Here’s the entire LunaCafe Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies: Deck the Halls collection. If you bake along, one cookie a day from December 1st to December 12th, you’ll have a wonderful selection of holiday cookies to share with family and friends, with time to spare.
- On the 1st day of Christmas: Lily’s Swedish Vanilla Spritz
- On the 2nd day of Christmas: Orange Vanilla Sugar Cookies
- On the 3rd day of Christmas: Decidedly Lemon Teacakes
- On the 4th day of Christmas: Once in a Chocolate-Spice Moon Cookies
- On the 5th day of Christmas: Peppermint Stick Shortbread
- On the 6th day of Christmas: Lemon-Lime Clove Sugar Cookies
- On the 7th day of Christmas: Toasted Almond Black Cherry Shortbread
- On the 8th day of Christmas: Green Tea & Rose Spritz
- On the 9th day of Christmas: Toasted Almond Black Cherry Shortbread
- On the 10th day of Christmas: Lemon Orange Pecan Thumbprint Cookies
- On the 11th day of Christmas: Candy Cane Butter Cookies
- On the 12th day of Christmas: Ellen’s Swedish Pepparkakor