If there’s one dish in the universe that I never tire of, it’s Wonton Soup. But not just any run-of-the-mill Wonton Soup with week-old broth and three or four mushy wontons. There’s way too much of that sorry slop around.
No way. I want Wonton Soup that’s worth walking a couple of miles for, anticipation mounting with each step. I make Wonton Soup myself, so mediocre won’t cut it.
I want the broth to be fresh, clean, full-flavored, and well-seasoned. Maybe even a little spicy.
I want a ridiculously large number of silky, plump, succulent, savory, pork and shrimp filled wontons.
And if there are a few vegetables thrown in to appease that finger wagging voice in my head that loves to ruin every indulgent meal, so much the better. Make it perfectly steamed baby bok choy, and all resistance evaporates.
Enter Mama Chow’s Kitchen, the food cart brainchild of ebullient chef and culinary entrepreneur, Jeff Chow, with an able assist from his mother, Lalie Chow, who is famous for her life affirming, soul lifting Wonton Soup.
You know, like you just happen to be walking down SW 2nd and Stark between 11-3 on a weekday. You haven’t had lunch. You’re starving. You have only $7.00 in your pocket.
And by this point, you are also regularly ordering the crisp, succulent, tender, sweet, and savory Lollipop Chicken Wings. You know, for an appetizer.
And the deceptively simple but also incredibly delicious Garlic Noodles. Because, well, noodles are known to increase happiness. And happiness will make you a better human being. Which will benefit the entire world.
Just look at Mena there behind the counter. She gives that genuine, heartwarming smile to everyone who ventures up to her window. She’s changing the world, one customer at a time. Because she’s happy.
And I’m sure it’s all because of Mama Chow’s Kitchen and their inspired Wonton Soup.
Cookin’ with Gas (inspiration from around the web)
- Food Carts Portland: Mama Chows Kitchen
- Mama Chow’s Kitchen Food Cart – A Brief Glimpse at This Brand New Portland Food Cart! | Portland Food Cart Adventures
- Mama Chows & Uncle Tsang’s | Willamette Week
- Map of Portland Food Carts
- Pechluck’s Food Adventures: Mama Chow’s Kitchen
- The Portland Mercury: Wonton Desire
LunaCafe Restaurant Posts
- Arizona Sweet
- West 5: Astral Mac & Cheese
- Crave: Shiitake Mac & Cheese
- Eat. Boston. Clio.
- Eat. Boston. Winter Squash Soup.
- Eat. Seattle. Mistral Kitchen.
- Eat. Seattle. Smith.
- Maui Sweet
- Quintessential Mac & Cheese Roundup 2008
- Quintessential Mac & Cheese Roundup 2009
- Seattle Sweet
- Sweet Briar Farms Pork Chop with Bodacious Corn Hush Puppies
- The Paley’s Place Cookbook
- World Famous Green Chile Mac & Cheese