You can make this sauce the same day you need it, but it definitely improves with age, so make it a few days ahead if you like.
1 cup coconut milk
¼ cup creamy, natural-style peanut butter (just peanuts and salt)
½ cup water
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons minced lemongrass
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 kaffir lime leaf, rib removed, leaf chopped
1 small Thai red pepper, stemmed, ribbed, and seeded (use disposable gloves)
finely grated zest of 1 large lime
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
½ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the coconut milk and peanut butter until smooth. Whisk in the water. Reserve.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil, and add the lemongrass, garlic, ginger, kaffir lime leaf, and red pepper. Stir-fry until the aroma releases, about 1 minute.
- Add Thai Red Curry Paste, Thai basil, cilantro, brown sugar, and fish sauce (if you have it on hand). Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes to eliminate the harsh, raw taste of the paste.
- Whisk the coconut milk-peanut butter mixture, and add to the saucepan.
- Simmer gently for 4-5 minutes, until sauce is reduced slightly. Remove from the heat and let the flavors meld for at least ½ hour. Longer is even better.
- Strain the sauce through a single mesh strainer into a clean container, pushing against the solid ingredients to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids.
- Add lime zest and juice to the sauce. Add the salt, and taste for flavor balance. If needed, add a little more lime juice or brown sugar.
- Refrigerate until needed. Can be used warm or cold.
Makes about 1½ cups.
More Asian-Inspired Recipes from LunaCafe
- Asian Pancakes (Beijing Pancakes)
- Asian Tacos with Prawn & Shiitake Filling & Cabbage Slaw
- Chinese Cracker Jacks
- Chinese Good Fortune Cookies
- Home-Style Chinese Fried Rice
- Spicy Korean Noodle Soup (Jjambbong)
- Spicy Pork Wonton Soup
- Thai Red Curry Paste
- Thai Red Curry Soup
- Vietnamese Crispy Crepes (Banh Xeo)
Cookin’ with Gas (inspiration from around the web)
- ByzantineFlowers: Spicy Asian Noodle Salad with Peanut Sauce
- Food Republic: Only You Can Control Your Peanut Destiny
- foodgawker: Peanut Sauce
- The Yummy Life: Asian Peanut Sauce
- Unruly Bliss: Peanut Sauce
- Wikipedia: Peanut Sauce
I Love Hearing from You!
Please leave a comment. Include your blog URL and CommentLuv will automatically link back to your most recent blog post. Happy cooking!
Copyright 2013 Susan S. Bradley. All rights reserved.