If there’s one drink that says Merry Christmas more than any other, it’s surely Hot Buttered Rum. But I’m not wild about the purist version that contains only rum, butter, brown sugar, and boiling water.
When a recipe for an ice cream version fell in my lap some years ago, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. It was fabulous, but then I began to notice that the drink became cloying and overly rich after only a few sips, plus the spices weren’t pronounced enough. So the tweaking began and this recipe is the result.
Now, I always keep a batch of this mix in the freezer during the holiday season for evenings around the tree and drop-in friends and family. It’s easy to prepare and always a hit.
Merry Christmas everyone!
LunaCafe Hot Buttered Rum Mix
These is the best hot buttered rum mix in the entire universe; rich and satisfying but not as sweet and cloying as most I’ve sampled. I tweaked the formula over a few seasons to get it just right.
This recipe makes a party-size batch of mix, so you may want to consider cutting it in half.
I always keep a batch of this mix in the freezer during the holiday season for evenings around the tree and drop-in guests. It’s always a hit.
½ pound unsalted butter (2 cubes)
1 cup powdered sugar
1½ cup packed dark brown sugar
1 quart best-quality, vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and sugars in the mixing bowl, and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add ice cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves, cardamom, and vanilla, and incorporate well.
- Scoop into a freezer container, cover, and keep frozen.
Makes about 1½ quarts.
Hot Buttered Rum
1-2 tablespoons LunaCafe Hot Buttered Rum Mix
1½ ounces Myers’s Original Dark Rum or Captain Morgan Private Stock Spiced Rum
whipped cream, lightly sweetened
freshly ground nutmeg
- Put a heaping tablespoon of Susan’s Hot Buttered Rum Mix into an 8-ounce, Irish coffee glass (footed glass with a handle), and then add 1½ ounces of dark rum and boiling water to almost fill the glass.
- Stir to dissolve the mix.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of freshly ground nutmeg.
Coffee Rum Grog
Replace the water with freshly brewed, hot coffee.
Copyright 2008 Susan S. Bradley. All rights reserved.